Sunday, April 03, 2005

Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours to go...

Ok - maybe a little more than that at this writing - but not much more thanks to Daylight Savings Time. It's already technically Sunday morning as I write this. This evening we take the rugrat to spend the night with Grandma. Then bright and early Monday morning we head to the hospital.

It's called Incompetent Cervix and what it means is that my body just can't support the weight of a pregnancy. It's impossible to detect or predict until it happens, but once it does happen, it will happen again. It's how I lost my twins 26 weeks into my first pregnancy. But the good news is that there is a very simple, quick procedure to prevent losing subsequent pregnancies. And that is what I'm counting down to now.

I must confess to a bit of nervousness about this. While the procedure takes less than 5 minutes, the prep for it can be pretty uncomfortable and so they need to give me anesthesia. And... since I'm pregnant, the best choice for anesthesia is a spinal block. I've had it done twice before as well as an epidural when I went into labor with the rugrat. But still, the thought of someone jabbing a needle into my spine and injecting drugs is a bit unsettling.

But even with the nervousness I'm so incredibly eager to have it done. I view it as a turning point - where I can stop worrying about losing the baby and enjoy the miracle of it all.

The net effect of the eagerness and nerves - and loss of sleep thanks to DST - is that I'm one big ball of emotions. Pity my husband - he has to live with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home