Thursday, March 17, 2005

You Asked for It

Since there was a request, I'll go ahead and relate the day that was my birthday - i.e.: the Ides of March. To set the stage, however, I must go back to the day before.

On Monday, my husband left for work saying goodbye to the rugrat, ignoring me, and slamming the door on his way out. He was pissed off that I was miffed about a comment he made regarding laundry. Married people fight over the silliest things, sometimes. So I spent the day in a rage at him for being mad about my being mad about him making a snarky comment. As a result, I washed and ironed almost every single piece of clothing her owned, as well as disassembled, moved, and reassembled a futon sofa frame from the living room to the family room in the basement. I was still furious and walking very fast on the treadmill to burn off energy by the time he came home. Then we hugged and made up and all was well.

Given the amount of work I'd done on Monday, I felt completely justified in taking Tuesday - my birthday - easy. I had promised Rhi that we'd have a tea party at her little table in the family room, so while she was watching Sesame Street I went to the kitchen to start preparing for the party. I cut thin slices of pound cake and then cut those out into butterfly shapes with a cookie cutter. I spread the butterfly cakes with lemon curd and then sprinkled lavender colored sugar on top. I made iced blueberry tea. When it was all ready we had our tea party - it was great to sit there with her and her dolls!

After we cleaned up from the party, I decided to pull out the stamping supplies I'd just gotten. Rhi had seen some of them and had asked me to make her a "special picture" so that's what I did. I made a frame out of moss green cardstock that holds a white card stamped with moss green ink. There is an image of a dragonfly and a quote from Emerson: "All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen." It's now hanging from a sheer pink ribbon on her bedroom wall. We also made up a birthday card for my husband since his birthday is 5 days after mine.

The rest of the day was just as easy-going. I wrote up some stories for one of the online games I play (Star Wars Galaxies), read websites while the rugrat got a nap. After she got up from her nap, she helped me wash some dishes. Mom arrived with gifts for the hubinator and me, and then after my husband got home he took us out for dinner. He offered to take us someplace fancy, but since I'd had such a casual day I told him I was more in the mood for burgers.

Not doing anything special, but just taking it easy and enjoying myself made it one of the best birthdays I've had.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger Scone said...

Thanks for sharing! That sounds like a wonderful day.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

What a great blog!!! I love the part about the Tea Party. I think I'm going to do that with my granddaughter next week. She's 4, and she'll love it. Thanks so much for this great post!!!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Shadowsong said...

Thanks for the nice comments! I hope the tea party is as much fun for you and your granddaughter as it was for us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home