Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Moment in Time

Ever have a time or event that has really ingrained itself in your mind? Something that ends up having a profound effect on your life even if you didn't realize it at the moment?

I was thinking about this last night and what came to mind was something that happened back in 1979-1980 - when the Iranian embassy was overrun. The moment that really struck me was when I saw the cover of a Time magazine. It had a drawing of President Carter on the front and his words of taking full responsibility for a failed rescue attempt.

I was 11 years old at the time. I remember thinking how incredibly hard it must have been for Carter to decide what to do, and then to have it fail and lose the servicemen who were on the mission. I remember thinking that it took a strong character to take on such responsibility instead of looking for excuses and placing blame. I gained a tremendous amount of respect for Mr Carter - not for his title or position, but for his character.

Thinking back now, I realized that moment really defines for me personal accountability and responsibility - qualities I admire in others and strive for in myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home