Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Counting Down

In one week I go to the doctor and have the stitch in my cervix removed. After that, the baby I've been carrying around - worrying and daydreaming about for the past 8 months - could arrive any time.

Or, he could decide to sit and wait it out until his September 30th due date.

Obviously, the prudent thing to do would be to be prepared for the baby to arrive early. And so my living room is filled with baby furniture, the bassinet stacked with new clothes and soft, cuddly blankies. The washing machine is running non-stop during the day as I wash everything. I've already rearranged the bedroom to allow me to put the bassinet next to the bed when the baby first comes home. I've given my husband more than a few reminders that he'll need to bring my rocking chair up from the basement.

But by far the hardest - and most important - thing to do is prepare my daughter to be a big sister. She's been helping me - with going through the new clothes and doing laundry. She's tried to claim some of the toys we got at a baby shower as her own, but readily gave them back when I explained they were for the new baby. (She gently lay the little ducky on my belly and said "Here, baby, this is for you." I just melted at that.)

I've been telling her that she's getting to be a big girl and that when the baby comes he'll be too small to do anything. I've assured her that even though Mommy and Daddy will need to spend a lot of time taking care of the baby, she's still our very special girl and we will always love her. I've promised that when the baby naps, I'll spend time with just her.

There's no telling how things will go, but I guess before too long we'll see. All I can really do is what every expectant parent can do - try to plan and prepare, but just take things as they come and do the best I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home