Monday, September 12, 2005

Offensensitivity

Twice in the past month or so I've made statements about finding something offensive. I didn't think I was making that big a fuss over it - just stating my opinion that I found certain word choices or attitudes offensive. The reactions were amazing. In one instance it was implied that I was getting over-emotional about it and just ranting, in the other instance I was mocked for having thin skin.

When did saying (or typing) the words "I find that offensive" become taboo?

I can see how some of it came about - from sensationalized incidents where people take others to court or demand new laws because someone dare offended them. I can understand people getting sick of having to couch their words and actions because someone - anyone - may take offense to something and overreact.

It is ridiculous for people to think they have some inalienable right to life without ever being offended.

But the attitudes I've encountered lately have gone beyond countering those who make a big deal out of being offended. The attitudes instead are that people have no right to be offended. Basically, the attitudes are that people who would find offense in something have no right to their opinion. Or, if they are allowed to feel offended, they certainly don't have a right to state it.

After all.... it might offend someone.

As an adult living in the United States, I have a right to my opinions - including the right to be offended. I'd like to think I could make my feelings known about it and discuss it maturely with others. But it seems they are exercising their right to be offended as well - offended that I would dare take offense at something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home