Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I Miss My Bed

No matter how comfy the hotel or spare bedroom bed is, it just doesn't compare to your own bed. So it isn't unusual for people to say that they miss sleeping in their own bed. I would hear it often from people on extended trips - especially business trips.

But there is something just not right about missing your own bed when you are home 24 hours a day.

I knew not to expect to get a lot of sleep after bringing the baby home. I fully expected to be up every few hours throughout the night to feed him. I went through that with our daughter and remembered well how exhausted I'd become. But at least I got to sleep in my own bed between feedings.

But the little boy had different plans for Mommy. True to the family tradition of being naturally nocturnal, he sleeps during the day and fully wakes up about 5 seconds after my head hits the pillow. I feed him and he falls asleep (I swear, breastmilk has GOT to be a natural sleeping potion!) but once again wakes up as soon as I lay down and pull the covers up. This goes on from about 10 pm til 6 am. Doesn't make for a restful night's sleep.

But throw into the mix my husband and the need for him to be alert enough in the mornings to drive an hour or more to work. Oh.. and he has flying lessons as well - would be nice if he could stay awake for those. So.. given his need for sleep I've taken to spending my nights in the livingroom - sitting in my rocking chair to feed the baby and - when the rugrat allows it - dozing on the sofa while he's in his bouncy chair. He seems to like the bouncy chair much more than his own bed.

I wonder if I can find a mommy-sized one?

1 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Scone said...

Hey sweetie, are you still surviving? I so empathize with the "no sleep" problem. It was many months before I got more than 4 hours' sleep of every 24 with both my little men. What a zombie I turned into! Anyway, just wanted you to know that somebody cares and is thinking of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home